Christmas Season Traditions
Concert in Salt Lake
This Monday for Family Home evening Nate and I went to his dad's choir concert. The concert was titled "Come yet to Bethlehem." The purpose of the concert was to use music to invite everyone to come unto Christ. It was an amazing concert for many reasons 1. There were different age groups, the age range was 5 years old to 60 years old. The 5 and 6 year old sang songs like "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" They were adorable. All the arrangements were beautiful.
I would recommend going to this concert whether you are religious or not. Great job Matt Hancock!
After the concert Nate and I walked through Temple square. I love Temple square during Christmas. Let me share with you a connection I made this week. Here is a symbolic lesson:
Temple square has a lot of their trees with lights and covered the ground with nativities. I thought to myself "Why do I like Temple square more during Christmas time when all the lights are out?"
Decorating for Christmas helps me remember Christ more often because I have the lights to remind me that the light of Christ is everyone and influences all who allow it. In one way the decorated trees on Temple square remind me of people who choose have been touch by the light of Christ and want to share the light with other people.
The symbolism of lights hit me stronger this year than ever before. During the Christmas season everyone is on their best behavior and seems to strive a little more to serve others around them. In theory and as a gospel point of view, we as members of the church are suppose to be selfless all year. We are to have the Christmas spirit all year. Why is it so hard? I have figured it out for myself, the lights I see on Christmas trees whether it's in my own house or someone else, the lights I see people use to decorate the outside of their house. No matter where I drive, I see the Christmas lights that remind me of the light of Christ.
Thanks for letting me share a small symbolic lesson I learned this week.
Oh No!
I pulled the cutting board and noticed it was warped. I put pressure in the middle of the board and heard a CRACK. I don't see anything, I wiggle it around a bit and finally see the were the wood split. I put pressure on the middle again and heard another CRACK! Nate and I went from three cutting boards to one in 9 months. We knew we were going to replace these cutting board soon. We will not be getting the bamboo kind again. When we registered for our wedding we ran into chef who told us a wood cutting board is better than a plastic one. That was the reason we purchase these bamboo ones. However, looking back I think the chef would have advised us to get a different kind of wood! haha On the hunt. I am open to suggestions on cutting boards you have loved.
Funny Moment
I had a late snack while Nate and I were watching a movie. I picked up this apple and heard something inside. I shook the apple and realized there was a lose apple seed! This next part is important. I was laying down with only my head propped up. I finished the apple, but couldn't find the lose seed. I thought "Oh I bet it went into the couch" I look around but don't find it.
As I'm getting ready for bed I scratch my belly and feel something hard in my belly button. It hits me, I found the apple seed! I decide to freak Nate out by going up to him and say something like "Can you feel my belly button, I think something is in there and I can't see it." When Nate feels the seed he jumps back and makes a grossed out face. I fall to the ground a laugh. Nate asks "is that the seed you couldn't find?" I nod my head as I continue to laugh. Once Nate finds out we both start laughing!
It was a good moment to have together. I don't understand how the lose apple seed got stuck in my belly button, but it did and I'm glad because it was hilarious!
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
The annual Garlock tradition is to see the play "A Christmas Carol." Last year,when Nate and I were engaged, was Nate's first time and said he LOVED IT! Good thing because it would have been a deal breaker for me ;) (just kidding, I am positive I could convince Nate to go, if I had to)
This year when Scrooge came up Nate's eyes widen and he became very excited! Scrooge this year was excellent. Even though our family watches Scrooge every year, there is still something to learn from the play.
| Nate and I with the Three ghosts of Christmas past, Christmas present and Christmas future |
Comments
Post a Comment